Posted on July 09 2015
On a cool French day, I saw a woman wearing what I refer to as a vesty thing... and I was inspired! She looked so comfortable in it; as if she could wear it to shop for fresh produce at the outdoor market, gather her chicken’s eggs, walk her dog, ride her motor bike or relax at a café sipping her cappuccino... all while wearing her vesty thing.
The vesty thing became my inspiration for the Moto Vest Pattern; a versatile piece that can be worn over shirts and lightweight jackets or under coats. Flip the collar for a scarf-shawl-like look. Change the gauge or type of yarn . I’ve used T-Shirt yarn for a summer version, light worsted weight yarn for a thinner cold weather version, Habu yarns for an artsy every day wear version and Stash yarns too! Just figure out your gauge on said yarn, how wide or narrow you want your vest, cast on for that width and away you go on your Moto adventure! To make my first 'Moto Vest' A.K.A. 'Vesty Thing', I used 'RADIUS' and a size 15 needle. To purchase this Moto Vest Pattern, go here: http://shop.knitterly.net/collections/patterns/products/moto-vest-pattern
Errata: The cast on is always a number divisible by 4 plus 2 so that you end with the same stitch as you started. Knit in: K2, P2 rib for 43" Row 1: K2, P2, *; K2. Row 2: P2, K2, *; P2. Repeat row 1 & 2 for 43". bind off in pattern.
Notes to amend pattern for different yarns:If you want to use a different yarn, just figure out your gauge on said yarn, how wide or narrow you want your vest, cast on for that width and away you go on your Moto adventure. In order to begin and end with the same stitch, make sure the number you cast on is a number divisible by 4 plus 2. It just looks better :)
- Pattern is written for RADIUS Windrush Bulky (4 skeins)
- Plymouth Yarn - Colca Canyon (5 skeins): Needles = US 15 Scarf CO 22, 58" long, back CO 26, 15" long
- RADIUS Windrush Worsted Light (pictured on cover of pattern), (3 skeins): Needles = US 9 Scarf CO 58, 46" long, back CO 30, 11" long
- RADIUS Fox Worsted, (4-5 skeins): Needles = US 9 Scarf CO 58, 46" long, back CO 30, 11" long
- Berroco Borealis (4 skeins) and Andean Mist (3 skeins): Needles = US 15 Scarf CO 46, 62" long, back CO 16, 19" long
- Ribbon or T-Shirt yarn: Needles = US 15 Scarf CO 30, 46" long, back CO 34, 11" long
- Twirl Petals Held Doubled (4 skeins): Needles = US 10 or 10.5 Scarf CO 30, 52" long, back CO 22, 20" long
Above tryptic shows how you will lay your piece out to seam the sides.