The cocoknits Leonie is a relaxed, slouchy tee that you’ll knit up quickly and wear constantly. But there is a bonus—the pattern will add some techniques to your knitting repertoire. Learn how to work a proper Cocoknits neckline with special BO tricks and dropped shoulders using Shadow Wrap Short Rows.
*Note: If you knit the body longer it takes a bit more yarn. Our yarn recommendations below are for the 14 to 16" length. (Using only 600 to 700 yards).
Knitterly Yarn recommendations:
Habu XS-81 5/2 linen (a worsted weight linen) X2
Firefly, (Classic Elite) X5
Zooey, (Juniper Moon) X3
Habu A-188 linen paper (Size Medium = X6)
Habu N-100 Wide Cotton Gima (Size Medium = X10)
Habu N-98B Knitted Linen Tape (Size Large = X11)
General knitting skills plus 3-needle BO, SWSR*, Bias BO*.
small (medium, large, 1x, 2x, 3x)
- Bust: 43.5 (48, 52, 57, 62, 66)"; meant for 8-12" positive ease around Bust (this is what makes it drop off the shoulders)
- Length from top of Back neck: 19.5 (20.5, 21.5, 23, 24.5, 26)"
- 5 (6, 7, 8, 9, 10) skeins Habu Textiles a-188 (56% linen, 44% cotton, 109 yds/1 oz), or
- 10 (12, 14, 16, 18, 20) skeins Habu Textiles n-98 wide linen tape (100% linen, 56 yds/1oz) (shown on sample - only comes in this un-dyed color), or
- 5 (6, 7, 8, 9, 10) skeins Habu Textiles wide Gima (100% cotton, 109 yds/1 oz), or 500 (600, 700, 800, 900, 1090) yds of a tape or strong linen/cotton yarn, approx worsted weight, that gets gauge
- US 10.5–11 circ (cord should measure less than finished chest measurement)
- US 10.5–11 dpns or long circ for magic loop
- US US 5 or US 11 for cuff bind-off
Change needle size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
- 1 st marker
- st holders (or spare circ needle)
14 sts and 18 rows = 4" square in St st.
The winter variation has a split hem, so cast on separately for the back and front.
Yarn = 5 skeins of Twirl Ditto (Twirling Sally is our favorite)
Cast on 100 stitches for the back
Work in 1 by 1 rib (K1, P1, K1 on right side & P1, K1, P1 on wrong side… knitting the knits and purling the purls) for 4”
Place these stitches on hold using waste yarn or my favorite… leave on the cable from an Interchangeable needle.
Cast on 84 stitches for the front
Work in 1 by 1 rib for 3”
In preparation for joining in the round and proper side marker placement, place markers 4 stitches in from each edge on the back stitches, there will be 92 sts between the markers.
Combine both sets of sts. on your circular needle and join in the round, knit all sts.
Continue in stockinette stitch for 14” (the pattern calls for 12”) you can make the sweater longer or shorter by knitting this section longer or shorter, my version hits me lower mid pocket on my jeans in the back.
Follow directions in the pattern for working back.
I will work an extra inch for my armholes Because I don’t like my armholes tight and I’m long in the shoulder to underarm area, so I’ll work 28 rows instead of 24 or 32 instead of 28.